Below are some details of our more popular Accucraft locos, wagons and coaches that Garden Railway Centres either stock in our shop or can order for you:
Lew was built in 1925 to a similar design to the previous Manning Wardle locomotives constructed for the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, the main difference being a redesigned cab to eliminate a smoke trap, and give more room to the crew. Following the L & B tradition, she was named after one of the local rivers with a three-letter name. She was sold at auction along with other L&B equipment in November 1935, two months after the railway closed. However, she was purchased by the contractor dismantling the line and was used on these trains until July 1936. In September 1936, the loco sailed from Britain on the SS Sabor – believed to have been destined for a plantation in Brazil. Despite the efforts of many enthusiasts, no proof of the locomotive’s current whereabouts, or eventual fate has been discovered. The Ffestiniog has recently completed a replica of the loco and christened it ‘Lyd’, thus continuing the tradition of three-letter river names.
Beyer Peacock built two 0-6-0T locos for the newly constructed Welshpool & Llanfair Railway in 1903. These small but powerful narrow gauge locos were taken over by the Cambrian Railway when it acquired the line and then by the GWR at the grouping. The Great Western rebuilt them with typical Swindon details, copper-capped chimneys and brass safety-valve bonnets and both The Earl and The Countess survived the closure of the line to be preserved by the present day W&LLR.
By the mid 19th century, the North Wales’ slate mines and quarries had a requirement for small, powerful and rugged locos to work the galleries and tramways in what was by then a rapidly expanding industry. Various manufacturers supplied narrow gauge motive power to these businesses but none became more synonymous with the area than the saddle tanks supplied by the Hunslet Engine Co. of Leeds.
‘Dora’ is Accucraft’s first loco to feature a twin oscillating cylinder ‘motor’ between the frames. We are sure that this small power unit is going to find a range of uses and that ‘Dora’ will be the basis of numerous cosmetic conversions!
click here to order
The Great Western Railway’s 61XX 2-6-2T design can trace its origins to Churchward’s ground-breaking family of designs produced at the start of the 20th century which included the large ‘prairie’ tank engine number 99. Ideally suited for suburban and branch line work, thirty-nine more locomotives based on this design were in traffic by 1906 and batches continued to be produced until the class numbered 290.
click here to order
Lots of wagons and their fixings / accessories for 16mm freight operators can be found in our shop. Perhaps you were looking for an Accucraft W&L open wagon in light grey or an Accucraft closed van in the SR brown livery.
click here to view
We carry a range of Accucraft passenger coaches to compliment your chosen loco including both UK and US models. The UK range includes examples from Isle of Man, L&B, and W&L.